STUDENT DRESS CODE
Alvarado’s dress code provides students freedom and choice regarding the clothes they wear to school, while seeking to foster and support an academic environment. The dress code applies at all times to students while on campus or in attendance at any school event.
With this in mind, students are prohibited from any form of dress that:
- Affects the safety of that student or others.
- Is disruptive to the learning environment and to the learning process.
- Indicates affiliation with or admiration of negative social influences such as gangs, cults and/or substance abuse.
- Would allow for the concealment of anything that should not be at school.
The following items are examples and not intended to be a complete list of rules regarding dress.
The ultimate decision regarding dress code violation will be made by administration.
- Clothing, jewelry, and personal items (hats, backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or which advocate racial, ethnic, or religious prejudice.
- Clothing shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Tank tops, spaghetti straps, bare backs or midriffs with arms raised (stomachs), sheer tops, low-cut tops, halter or tube tops are prohibited.
- Pants, skirts, or shorts must be in good repair. Factory distressed garments may not reveal more than 1’’ wide of skin. Skirts and shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited. Pants must be worn near waist level.
- Shoes must be worn at all time. Open-toed shoes, slippers, or backless shoes are not permitted.
- Over-sized clothing is unacceptable.
- Pajamas and/or blankets are prohibited.
- Accessories, including spikes, safety pins or chains, or jewelry that is unsafe in size, shape or placement; emblems, badges, symbols, signs, bandana, or any other items which may be gang related.
- Hats not worn in the manner for which they were designed (example…a baseball hat with the bill facing backward). Hats are not to be worn indoors (this includes hats, beanies, and hoodies). It is important for student's face to be visible therefore the wearing of hoods is prohibited.
- PE clothes are not to be worn in class. This includes athletic wear. (Mesh shorts, sweatpants, and yoga pants)