Alvarado Intermediate School is an academically oriented school that gets results. Student achievement scores are strong due to the high quality of instructional programs and the efforts expended by students, parents and staff. Learning is an exciting adventure, rather than a tedious exercise. Students actively explore critical ideas by creating, constructing, designing, producing, and performing. The school’s programs are student-oriented and directly address their needs. Staff members recognize the unique needs of middle school students and provide a nurturing environment where youngsters can find safety, security, and structure along with rich opportunities to explore and excel.
Alvarado Intermediate is a recognized and award-winning "School of Excellence" on a national and state level. In 1996, Alvarado was one of 266 public and private secondary schools (grades 7-12) selected by the US Department of Education to receive the coveted National Blue Ribbon School Award. This is the highest award our nation gives its schools. In addition, Alvarado was a 1994 recipient of California's Distinguished School Award for academic performance. In 2004, 2007, and again in 2010, Alvarado was recognized as a top middle school in the State, earning the distinction of A Model Middle School- A California School to Watch, Taking Center Stage recipient.
Special Features and Programs at Alvarado:
- Offers advanced high school classes - Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Spanish I.
- Maintains a wide array of support programs such as Gifted and Talented Education (GATE), English Language Learners (ELL), School-Wide Title I, Special Day Class (SDC), Resource Specialist Program (RSP), and Adaptive Physical Education (APE).
- Encourages future first generation college graduates through the Achievement Via Individual Determination (AVID) methodologies, including philosophical chair, Socratic seminar, Cornell note-taking, and Costa’s levels of inquiry.
- Focuses on closing the achievement gap through its intensive research-based Read 180 reading intervention program.
- Builds a foundation for wise decision-making and good citizenship through its daily homeroom guidance Character Counts program.
- Challenges students to excel academically through its exciting hands-on CPO science program.
- Dovetails into Rowland High Schools International Alvarado Baccalaureate Program through its honors courses in all content areas and two year Alvarado Baccalaureate Program.
- Fosters leadership through with its Leadership class and elects Associated Student Body (ASB) representatives who plan many school-wide activities like spirit days and school dances.
- Stays on the cutting edge of technology which is integrated into instruction with 6 mobile iPad carts, 2 mobile netbook carts, and a state-of-the-art computer lab.
- Features talented students in its music concerts and annual talent show. With the wide variety of offerings, Alvarado attempts to reach each student where their talents and interests rest.
- Showcases award-winning band, colorguard, choral, and academic competition teams.
- Involves parents as partners in education through Parent Teacher Student Association, School Site Council, English Learner Advisory Committee, Booster Clubs, Parent conferences, and regular home-school communications such as bi-weekly bulletins, and Parentlink phone calls.
- Provides support for students through its award-winning After School Academies, student service center, free-tutoring, school counselors, guidance program, and interdisciplinary teams.