Rowland Unified School District Collects Toys and Foods For the Holidays And Presents Magical Musical Performances
ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA – NOVEMBER 28, 2012: Hundreds of elves are at work – that is, employees, school staff and community members – to make the holiday season a little brighter for the most needy children in the Rowland Unified School District (RUSD). Schools are also preparing for various holiday musical events that everyone can enjoy. Below is information on the many upcoming holiday events the community can take part in:
Holiday Basket Program: Each year Rowland Unified employees, students and the community help support the Holiday Basket Program. The program is thanks to the joint efforts of students of the Rowland High School Interact Club, Santana High School ASB, RUSD employees and members of the Walnut Valley Rotary Club and other community volunteers. Each holiday basket contains all the ingredients for holiday meals for families in need. Baskets will be given to approximately 250 of the neediest families within RUSD. Now through December 14 schools and the Rowland District Office are collecting canned goods and other non-perishable foods (such as pasta, canned fruits/vegetables, rice, soup, baby food, tuna/meat, canned milk, juices, and beans). If the community would like to donate non-perishable foods, they can be dropped off at any RUSD school or you can contact Santana High School Principal Guillermo Muñoz at (626)965-5971.
Toys for Tots Collection Center at Rowland High School Now through December 13: Rowland High School is once again a Toys for Tots Collection Center. Anyone who would like to drop off a new, unwrapped toy can bring it to Rowland High School 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the front office. Rowland High School is located at 2000 S. Otterbein Avenue in Rowland Heights. Contact Christine Gonzalez at (626)965-3448 ext. 3201 with questions or to arrange pick-up.
UPCOMING HOLIDAY EVENTS
· Saturday, Dec. 1 @ 6:30 p.m. - Alvarado Band Performs at Covina Christmas Parade (Citrus & Badillo Street)
· Saturday, Dec. 1 5:30 p.m. – Noble Regiment Band Special Field Show Performance at Nogales High School’s Jack Jolley Stadium
· Monday, Dec. 3 @ 6:30 p.m. - Winterfest Concert & Fundraiser at Industry Hills Expo Center Pavilion in the City of Industry: Join us for a wonderful evening of music performed by the RUSD Strings students in grades 4-12, followed by refreshments. Tickets are $7 at the door.
· Wednesday, Dec. 5 @ 6 p.m. - District Elementary Instrumental Concert at Rowland High School Gym (no charge).
· Wednesday, Dec. 5 @ 6:30 p.m. – Giano Intermediate Band/Chorus Winter Concert
· Dec. 4, 5 & 6 – Blandford Elementary Winter Boutique from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Cafeteria – All are welcome!
· Dec. 7 & 8 @ 7 p.m. – Rowland High School “Holiday Follies” in the Hideout
· Dec. 12 @ 6 p.m. – Alvarado Winter Concert (Choir, Jazz Band, Strings & Beginning Band)
· Dec. 12 @ 6:30 p.m. – Oswalt Academy Choir, Band and Strings Concert
· Dec. 13 @ 7 p.m. – Nogales/Telesis Band & Color Guard Winter Concert
· Dec. 17 @ Disneyland – Rowland High School’s Show Choir Infusion performs in one of the oldest traditions at the park, the holiday “Candlelight Procession.” Celebrity narrator is actress Molly Ringwald.
Rowland Unified School District schools will be closed December 17, 2012 – January 4, 2013 for Winter Break.